Equity Begins with Empathy
In 2020, SHRM launched Together Forward @Work to initiate open dialogue about racial inequity in the workplace. Now we’re taking the next step by providing tangible tools to construct equitable hiring practices and empathetic cultures—which is fundamental to the development of truly inclusive workplaces. Which is exactly what we need. Now more than ever.
Get the Right Tools for the Job
The SHRM Members-Only DE&I Action-to-Change Toolbox
With one click, learn to construct more-inclusive workplace cultures with a turnkey solution that includes:
- Conversation starter cards. Because understanding starts with talking and listening.
- An HR resource guide. A curated collection of diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) readings and research for practical equity solutions.
- An inclusion playbook. Your step-by-step guide to a more inclusive workplace.
- Plus more
View an inspirational video on workplace equity.
Systemic disparities in hiring and other unfair workplace practices have historically affected millions of workers, particularly Black workers. Because the workplace is the place SHRM knows best, we’ve always felt obligated and uniquely qualified to address these matters and push for significant change in the world of work and society.
That’s the reason we launched the Together Forward @Work initiative in 2020. It’s the reason we are underscoring the need for workplace empathy, which is a big step toward workplace equity. And it’s the reason we are committed to continuously refining and expanding the Together Forward @Work platform to include:
1. Original research detailing the high cost of racial inequity.
2. Tangible tools to bring about measurable change in the workplace.
3. Thought-provoking reports and recommendations from our Blue Ribbon Commission on Racial Equity.
Percentage of U.S. workers who have felt unfairly treated in the workplace due to their race or ethnicity over the last five years.
The Push for Inclusion
Must Include Everyone
Human Resource Professionals
Blue Ribbon Commission on Racial Equity